Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Shahnaz Husain: The Free Spirit of an Entrepreneur

Shahnaz Husain: The Free Spirit of an Entrepreneur


Shahnaz Husain: The Free Spirit of an Entrepreneur (© Shahnaz Husain)
Finding the balance between home and career is a problem faced by women worldwide. Entrepreneur Shahnaz Husain shares insights from her journey in building a global brand in a conversation with Christina Daniels
As the CEO of a global brand, what are the qualities that make a successful women entrepreneur?
I believe that one of the first qualities that a woman entrepreneur should have is independence of spirit because it is this that helps to translate one’s ideas into reality. Yes, creativity and innovation are also very important. But one’s own enterprise provides the freedom to express ideas through innovation. One must also have the courage of one’s convictions. This is all the more important to succeed in a man’s world. The other qualities are faith in one’s own abilities, relentless determination, a willingness to learn and the ability to adapt. The business world is dynamic. One has to adapt to change, or better still, create the demand. For example, by pioneering the herbal beauty movement, I believe I created the demand for herbal beauty care.
How did your journey as a business woman begin?
During my training in London in cosmetology and cosmetic therapy, I came across instances of damage caused by chemical substances. In a way this changed my life and career. It sowed the seeds of my desire to become an entrepreneur. It gave me the idea of introducing a totally new concept. I decided to evolve treatments that are safe and without risks. I was determined to find a natural alternative. The study of Ayurveda convinced me that it could provide the ideal answers to the demands of beauty care. My idea was to provide herbal beauty, based on the principle of “care and cure”. At that time, such a concept did not exist. I knew that the only way I could translate my ideas was by starting my own herbal salon and thus implement my ideas of herbal and customized beauty care. It was a totally unique path breaking concept because I rejected the existing salon treatments and devised my own. I also started formulating my own products, based on the Ayurvedic system. I was convinced that India can provide the answers to the demands of beauty care through Ayurveda.
Were there more obstacles in your path as a woman entrepreneur?
There were fewer hurdles in my path because I chose a field that basically involved women. My first herbal salon was for women. Of course, there were economic obstacles. But I started in a very small way, in my own home, after borrowing Rs 35,000 from my father.  Generally women also have to overcome social barriers, although this was not so in my case. More than four decades ago, when I started my career, women found it difficult to get out of family responsibilities and also suffered pangs of guilt when following their own dreams and career. Finding the balance between home and career is still a problem faced by women worldwide. I started my first herbal salon in my own home. So, I was at home and available to my children. 
How would you respond to critics of the cosmetics industry who believe that beauty is just ‘skin deep’?
Today’s Indian woman is aware of the benefits and importance of beauty care, of the products available in the market. The career world is highly competitive, and there are also many careers where appearance counts. Today’s working woman has personal disposable income and is willing to spend on beauty products to improve her appearance. There is increasing awareness of the quality and of the ingredients in the product, as well as the benefits of natural /herbal ingredients. The Indian woman wants to exercise this awareness and independence and opt for high quality and safe herbal products. I also believe in the old adage of internal good health for external beauty. External cosmetic care and a healthy lifestyle are important for beauty. But I have always said that beauty is a total impact, which includes physical beauty, intellect and even spiritual power. A beautiful woman is one who values herself physically, mentally, emotionally and even spiritually.
If you were starting as an Indian women entrepreneur today, do you think that your path would have been easier?
I feel that my path would have been easier because there have been so many advancements in technology and cosmetic techniques. Also, it would have been much easier to enter the international market. For me, entering the international market was the biggest challenge 33 years ago. India was not even represented at that time, but I attended International Beauty Congresses on my own steam, spoke on Ayurveda and tried to popularize Ayurvedic beauty care. I participated in the Festival of India in London in 1980 and was given a counter in the perfumery section at Selfridges. I was rubbing shoulders with the biggest international brand names. Standing there alone and selling India’s ancient civilization in a jar, without any resources and in the face of fierce competition, was not easy. But, to everyone’s surprise, the entire consignment sold out in 3 days, breaking the store’s existing cosmetic sales records. Recently, Shahnaz Husain products touched record breaking sales again at Selfridges, where a single customer bought products worth ₤4,334 in a single transaction.
Obstacles and hurdles come up in life, but I have tried to meet them as challenges, with my desire to excel, relentless determination to succeed, an iron will and sheer hard work. I believe that one should never stop trying. If you never stop trying, you cannot fail. I believe that nothing is impossible. As my father said, “You can be what you will yourself to be. You can make your own destiny.”

No comments: